Rozwój chirurgii gdańskiej w latach 1454–1945

Jacek Zieliński, Andrzej Kopacz, Maciej Świerblewski

Ann. Acad. Med. Gedan. 2007 (vol. 37), No 1:
Publication date: 2007-02-01
Language: pl


The aim of this paper is to present the history of gdansk surgery from the beginning of lazarettoes to the end the Second World War . The material comes from archival records and printed papers.

The beginnings Gdańsk Surgery reach XV century and the buildings where smallpox was treated were called houses of smallpox or lazarettoes. The foundation of GA in 1580 contributed to the development of medical knowledge, and especially the knowledge about human anatomy thanks to the manuals of professor Jan Adam Kulmusa (1689–1745).

In the second half XIX century two hospitals come into being in Danzig: The Holy Virgin and evangelical hospital of Deaconess sisters. In 1911 building of Szpital Miejski in Danzig was finished which in 1935 called of the Academy of Practice Medicine. Henrich Klose (1879–1968) was an especially distinguished professor in the period of existence of the Academy of Practice Medicine.

Between 1454–1945 a constant increase in the level of medical knowledge can be observed which proves that Danzing medicine and surgery was equal to European medicine and surgery.

Adres: dr Jacek Zieliński
Klinika Chirurgii Onkologicznej AMG
Gdańsk ul. Dębinki 7
tel.: 349 24 40
e-mail: jaziel@gumed.edu.pl